Finding Work Experience
Where to look
- Many work experience/internship vacancies are advertised on CareerConnect.
- Larger organisations may have centralised internships work experience schemes, so look on the websites of those that you’re interested in.
- Many work experience placements are not directly advertised, so you may need to make a speculative application.
- The Careers Service runs several work experience schemes as well as Internship Programmes specifically for Oxford students.
- Use the Oxford Careers Network, a database of Oxford alumni, to get advice about work, postgrad study and gap-year experiences.
- We run an Internship Fair every November, where you can meet employers looking to offer placements.
- Get tips on work experience, useful links, and access to a number of vacancies from Prospects.
Applying for work experience
For many work experience placements you’ll need to apply with a CV and letter, and possibly complete an interview in person or over the phone.
Even though the process for getting work experience is often less formal than for getting a job, you’ll still need to use all the same skills as you would with an application for a long-term job. See our applications section for advice.
16th May 2013
Insight Into Teaching provides students with the opportunity to spend a few days in a local school with a full programme of lesson observation, perhaps a chance to try out some teaching and join in with activities, and a session of reflection and feedback. If you are thinking about a career in teaching then spending… Continue reading →
9th May 2013
Are you keen to get experience and an an insight into the work, roles and opportunities of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office(FCO) ? If yes and you are a British citizen and have lived in the UK for at least two out of the last ten years then consider applying for one of their 15 places available for… Continue reading →