Finding Work Experience
Where to look
- Many work experience/internship vacancies are advertised on CareerConnect.
- Larger organisations may have centralised work experience/internship schemes, so look on the websites of those that you’re interested in.
- Many work experience placements are not directly advertised, so you may need to make a speculative application.
- The Careers Service runs several work experience schemes as well as Internship Programmes specifically for Oxford students.
- Use the Oxford Careers Network, a database of Oxford alumni, to get advice about work, postgrad study and gap-year experiences.
- We run an Internship Fair every November, where you can meet employers looking to offer placements.
- Get tips on work experience, useful links, and access to a number of vacancies from Prospects.
Applying for work experience
For many work experience placements you’ll need to apply with a CV and letter, and possibly complete an interview in person or over the phone.
Even though the process for getting work experience is often less formal than for getting a job, you’ll still need to use all the same skills as you would with an application for a long-term job. See our applications section for advice.
16th Oct 2014
Friday 31 October - Sunday 2 November The Startup Immersion course designed to give you 48 hours experience in the life of an entrepreneur. It is taught by serial entrepreneurs with stories to tell and the scars to prove it. It's designed to show you what really matters and help you avoid making costly mistakes.… Continue reading →
16th Oct 2014
Get free support and turn an idea into a working business plan with business mentoring from our Entrepreneur in Residence, Maurice McCartney. Maurice McCartney is the founder of Fresh Management Solutions Ltd, is a mentor, trainer and management consultant helping people in businesses big and small, social enterprises and support agencies to know more, achieve together and… Continue reading →