Finding Work Experience
Where to look
- Many work experience/internship vacancies are advertised on CareerConnect.
- Larger organisations may have centralised work experience/internship schemes, so look on the websites of those that you’re interested in.
- Many work experience placements are not directly advertised, so you may need to make a speculative application.
- The Careers Service runs several work experience schemes as well as Internship Programmes specifically for Oxford students.
- Use the Oxford Careers Network, a database of Oxford alumni, to get advice about work, postgrad study and gap-year experiences.
- We run an Internship Fair every November, where you can meet employers looking to offer placements.
- Get tips on work experience, useful links, and access to a number of vacancies from Prospects.
Applying for work experience
For many work experience placements you’ll need to apply with a CV and letter, and possibly complete an interview in person or over the phone.
Even though the process for getting work experience is often less formal than for getting a job, you’ll still need to use all the same skills as you would with an application for a long-term job. See our applications section for advice.
28th Jul 2014
Apply for the Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) Visa Endorsement Under the Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) category for the UKBA points-based system, the University of Oxford may endorse up to twenty graduates who have ‘genuine and credible business ideas and entrepreneurial skills, to extend their stay in the UK after graduation to establish one or more… Continue reading →
18th Jun 2014
Thursday 19 June 2014, Exhibitors from 14.30-17.30, Oxford Town Hall Are you looking for work experience over this vacation, or a full-time job if you leave Oxford this year? In eighth week we are holding our final fair of the year, to help you with your search. At the fair you can: Meet thirty employers, all with job or… Continue reading →