Finding Work Experience
Where to look
- Many work experience/internship vacancies are advertised on CareerConnect.
- Larger organisations may have centralised work experience/internship schemes, so look on the websites of those that you’re interested in.
- Many work experience placements are not directly advertised, so you may need to make a speculative application.
- The Careers Service runs several work experience schemes as well as Internship Programmes specifically for Oxford students.
- Use the Oxford Careers Network, a database of Oxford alumni, to get advice about work, postgrad study and gap-year experiences.
- We run an Internship Fair every November, where you can meet employers looking to offer placements.
- Get tips on work experience, useful links, and access to a number of vacancies from Prospects.
Applying for work experience
For many work experience placements you’ll need to apply with a CV and letter, and possibly complete an interview in person or over the phone.
Even though the process for getting work experience is often less formal than for getting a job, you’ll still need to use all the same skills as you would with an application for a long-term job. See our applications section for advice.
19th Jan 2015
Oxford Hub's Social Impact Internship Scheme places students who are passionate about social change with host organisations that are creating social impact. The placements are over the summer for 4-12 weeks in the UK, and although many are volunteering with charities, many offer the flexibility to work part time. Applications for Oxford Hub's scheme close on… Continue reading →
15th Jan 2015
All the careers advisers working in universities across the UK share information. Just recently, there's been a compilation of top tips for finding work experience abroad (particularly timely for those looking for year abroad opportunities). I've added a few more, Oxford specific ones too below... Equivalent trade bodies and professional associations in the country and… Continue reading →