Finding Work Experience
Where to look
- Many work experience/internship vacancies are advertised on CareerConnect.
- Larger organisations may have centralised work experience/internship schemes, so look on the websites of those that you’re interested in.
- Many work experience placements are not directly advertised, so you may need to make a speculative application.
- The Careers Service runs several work experience schemes as well as Internship Programmes specifically for Oxford students.
- Use the Oxford Careers Network, a database of Oxford alumni, to get advice about work, postgrad study and gap-year experiences.
- We run an Internship Fair every November, where you can meet employers looking to offer placements.
- Get tips on work experience, useful links, and access to a number of vacancies from Prospects.
Applying for work experience
For many work experience placements you’ll need to apply with a CV and letter, and possibly complete an interview in person or over the phone.
Even though the process for getting work experience is often less formal than for getting a job, you’ll still need to use all the same skills as you would with an application for a long-term job. See our applications section for advice.
6th Mar 2014
This is a chance for Oxford students and alumni to attend Lean Launchday a two-day event in London (March 25-26) featuring hands-on workshops and talks from industry leaders practising Lean Startup, Lean UX and other innovative approaches in startup, enterprise and government organisations. Speakers and delegates represent perspectives from design, engineering, research and strategy. Confirmed speakers are:… Continue reading →
20th Feb 2014
On 8-9 March 2014, The Shed is offering a Tech Immersion for anyone interested in learning the basics of web development, for social enterprise developers and entrepreneurs. This intensive, hands-on course is designed to introduce total beginners to all the concepts they need to understand the web, talk confidently with developers, and even get their… Continue reading →