Finding Work Experience
Where to look
- Many work experience/internship vacancies are advertised on CareerConnect.
- Larger organisations may have centralised work experience/internship schemes, so look on the websites of those that you’re interested in.
- Many work experience placements are not directly advertised, so you may need to make a speculative application.
- The Careers Service runs several work experience schemes as well as Internship Programmes specifically for Oxford students.
- Use the Oxford Careers Network, a database of Oxford alumni, to get advice about work, postgrad study and gap-year experiences.
- We run an Internship Fair every November, where you can meet employers looking to offer placements.
- Get tips on work experience, useful links, and access to a number of vacancies from Prospects.
Applying for work experience
For many work experience placements you’ll need to apply with a CV and letter, and possibly complete an interview in person or over the phone.
Even though the process for getting work experience is often less formal than for getting a job, you’ll still need to use all the same skills as you would with an application for a long-term job. See our applications section for advice.
8th Apr 2014
Are you looking for a placement scheme that will offer you a truly unique experience? If yes, look no further than the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) Future Talent Scheme (FTS). This is a six week paid work experience scheme being run in summer 2014 for 15 undergraduates - of which 5 places will be… Continue reading →
12th Mar 2014
The Vodafone UK Graduate Team and Technology Innovation Team are running their 'Vodafone 24' challenge again this year. Teams are asked to come up with innovative solutions to problems over a 24 hour period: last year the winning team won iPads and a summer internship at Vodafone HQ, with the runners-up receiving iPad minis. Students… Continue reading →