Finding Work Experience
Where to look
- Many work experience/internship vacancies are advertised on CareerConnect.
- Larger organisations may have centralised work experience/internship schemes, so look on the websites of those that you’re interested in.
- Many work experience placements are not directly advertised, so you may need to make a speculative application.
- The Careers Service runs several work experience schemes as well as Internship Programmes specifically for Oxford students.
- Use the Oxford Careers Network, a database of Oxford alumni, to get advice about work, postgrad study and gap-year experiences.
- We run an Internship Fair every November, where you can meet employers looking to offer placements.
- Get tips on work experience, useful links, and access to a number of vacancies from Prospects.
Applying for work experience
For many work experience placements you’ll need to apply with a CV and letter, and possibly complete an interview in person or over the phone.
Even though the process for getting work experience is often less formal than for getting a job, you’ll still need to use all the same skills as you would with an application for a long-term job. See our applications section for advice.
18th Nov 2013
On Monday 25th November, Universal Music will be hosting a Utalk here at the Careers Service from 5-7pm! Utalks aim to give people interested in working in and around music the chance to hear the career stories and insights of key people within Universal. As well as insight into a potential employer, you'll also get… Continue reading →
14th Nov 2013
Thursday 21 November, 16.00, The Careers Service. Are you a first year or pre-penultimate student? Heard about Springweeks but not sure what they are? Or know you want to apply and want to make the most effective applications? If so, come along to this not-to-miss, new event to find out everything you need to know. Hear… Continue reading →