Finding Work Experience
Where to look
- Many work experience/internship vacancies are advertised on CareerConnect.
- Larger organisations may have centralised work experience/internship schemes, so look on the websites of those that you’re interested in.
- Many work experience placements are not directly advertised, so you may need to make a speculative application.
- The Careers Service runs several work experience schemes as well as Internship Programmes specifically for Oxford students.
- Use the Oxford Careers Network, a database of Oxford alumni, to get advice about work, postgrad study and gap-year experiences.
- We run an Internship Fair every November, where you can meet employers looking to offer placements.
- Get tips on work experience, useful links, and access to a number of vacancies from Prospects.
Applying for work experience
For many work experience placements you’ll need to apply with a CV and letter, and possibly complete an interview in person or over the phone.
Even though the process for getting work experience is often less formal than for getting a job, you’ll still need to use all the same skills as you would with an application for a long-term job. See our applications section for advice.
24th Apr 2015
Applications are open for placements through our pilot micro-internship programme. Micro-internships are voluntary, full-time work experience placements lasting between three and five days. All projects take place in 9th week at organisations within 30 minutes' travelling time of central Oxford. A micro-internship is a great way to gain work experience, enhance and develop your employability… Continue reading →
16th Apr 2015
The Internship Office is offering a new programme of internships for Trinity Term 2015. We have teamed up with organisations in and around Oxfordshire to offer local 'micro-internships' of two to five days' duration, consisting of a defined project that will be of real value to the host organisation. If you are interested in undertaking an internship… Continue reading →