Finding Work Experience
Where to look
- Many work experience/internship vacancies are advertised on CareerConnect.
- Larger organisations may have centralised work experience/internship schemes, so look on the websites of those that you’re interested in.
- Many work experience placements are not directly advertised, so you may need to make a speculative application.
- The Careers Service runs several work experience schemes as well as Internship Programmes specifically for Oxford students.
- Use the Oxford Careers Network, a database of Oxford alumni, to get advice about work, postgrad study and gap-year experiences.
- We run an Internship Fair every November, where you can meet employers looking to offer placements.
- Get tips on work experience, useful links, and access to a number of vacancies from Prospects.
Applying for work experience
For many work experience placements you’ll need to apply with a CV and letter, and possibly complete an interview in person or over the phone.
Even though the process for getting work experience is often less formal than for getting a job, you’ll still need to use all the same skills as you would with an application for a long-term job. See our applications section for advice.
20th Nov 2014
Social Impact Internship Scheme Info Evening 20.00, Monday 24 November (7th Wk) The Social Impact Internship Scheme places students who are passionate about social change with host organisations that are creating social impact. Oxford Hub are hosting an information event where students can find out more about the scheme, including speakers from host organisations and… Continue reading →
6th Nov 2014
Worried that you've missed some of our recent application skills sessions? If you are, you're in luck!! We have three upcoming employer-led skills sessions taking place at the Careers Service: CVs & Cover Letters - Barclays will be running a one hour workshop on how to write an effective CV & Cover Letter at the… Continue reading →