Finding Work Experience
Where to look
- Many work experience/internship vacancies are advertised on CareerConnect.
- Larger organisations may have centralised work experience/internship schemes, so look on the websites of those that you’re interested in.
- Many work experience placements are not directly advertised, so you may need to make a speculative application.
- The Careers Service runs several work experience schemes as well as Internship Programmes specifically for Oxford students.
- Use the Oxford Careers Network, a database of Oxford alumni, to get advice about work, postgrad study and gap-year experiences.
- We run an Internship Fair every November, where you can meet employers looking to offer placements.
- Get tips on work experience, useful links, and access to a number of vacancies from Prospects.
Applying for work experience
For many work experience placements you’ll need to apply with a CV and letter, and possibly complete an interview in person or over the phone.
Even though the process for getting work experience is often less formal than for getting a job, you’ll still need to use all the same skills as you would with an application for a long-term job. See our applications section for advice.
4th Mar 2015
The Oxford Film Hub is a directory which aims to list everyone working in film in Oxford by area of expertise, making it easier for people to put together crews, and be contacted for work themselves. It's free to sign up to be added to the directory. This is a joint project supported by the Oxford Broadcasting Association… Continue reading →
26th Feb 2015
The BBC has launched a Get Creative campaign in collaboration with arts organisations across the UK. As you might have seen in the press, Get Creative is all about inspiring Britons to unleash their artistic side following a recent report into the state of the cultural and creative industries in the UK. A recent Guardian… Continue reading →