Finding Work Experience
Where to look
- Many work experience/internship vacancies are advertised on CareerConnect.
- Larger organisations may have centralised work experience/internship schemes, so look on the websites of those that you’re interested in.
- Many work experience placements are not directly advertised, so you may need to make a speculative application.
- The Careers Service runs several work experience schemes as well as Internship Programmes specifically for Oxford students.
- Use the Oxford Careers Network, a database of Oxford alumni, to get advice about work, postgrad study and gap-year experiences.
- We run an Internship Fair every November, where you can meet employers looking to offer placements.
- Get tips on work experience, useful links, and access to a number of vacancies from Prospects.
Applying for work experience
For many work experience placements you’ll need to apply with a CV and letter, and possibly complete an interview in person or over the phone.
Even though the process for getting work experience is often less formal than for getting a job, you’ll still need to use all the same skills as you would with an application for a long-term job. See our applications section for advice.
21st May 2015
Insight into Policy is designed to support students who are considering a career in the policy sector, but who do not currently have first-hand experience. In Trinity Term 2015 we are running a pilot of this new programme, and expect to be able to take just a couple of students. The programme will run during Wednesday… Continue reading →
14th May 2015
A range of 2- to 5-day placements with organisations in Oxfordshire are still available as part of our micro-internship programme. All placements will take place in 9th week of term. Placements for which we particularly encourage applications include: A marketing project with Oxford Greenprint, an eco-friendly, low-impact, community-based printer serving charities and social enterprises (CareerConnect vacancy… Continue reading →