Finding Vacancies for Researchers
Where to search for opportunities as a researcher
The sites featured on this page illustrate some possible starting points for researchers who are seeking an advertised vacancy. This is not an exhaustive list: the links here are simply a selection of those that we have come across. The inclusion of a site on this page is not an endorsement of that site; likewise, that fact that we haven’t listed so many others doesn’t mean that they aren’t great places to search for jobs. Do let us know if you find jobs boards outside this list that are especially useful: we may be able to add them here.
Before you start searching via the lists below, remember that advertised positions constitute only a portion of the job market, and that jobs can be discovered in several other ways, for example through speculative approaches, networking, or building a freelance/portfolio career. Try out one of more of these avenues alongside your exploration of jobs boards, and optimise your LinkedIn profile using relevant keywords to ensure that employers who who are looking for people with your skillset can find you.
For roles in Oxford and the surrounding area, try the list below.
- The Careers Service’s CareerConnect platform lists several thousand job vacancies posted by the employers that we work with each year.
- The university’s Internal Job Board (accessed using your SSO via HR Self Service) allows staff to easily and securely view and apply for University jobs, with the benefit of having access to internal-only roles that are not published on the university’s external jobs website.
- There is also a separate jobs board for vacancies in Oxford’s colleges.
- If you are looking for short-term opportunities in the university, the Temporary Staffing Service may be able to help you.
There are dozens of jobs boards advertising academic and research opportunities: some have a national or sector focus, others cover global vacancies in all sectors.
- The most comprehensive resource for reesarch, teaching and professional jobs in UK Higher Education institutes, with some international vacancies also posted, is Jobs.ac.uk.
- For academic jobs in the USA, HigherEd Jobs has perhaps the largest selection, and a smaller selection of international vacancies.
- Academic vacancies can also be found in the Times Higher Education Supplement, and science research jobs in HE, industry and government are advertised in Nature and New Scientist.
- jobrxiv - a new scientific jobs board run by scientists, for scientists.
- Polytechnic Positions specialises in vacancies in Institutes of Technology and Polytechnic universities around the world.
- The European Union researcher portal, EURAXESS, has a jobs board for research opportunities in the EU. It also features more locally specific content via its national portal pages as well as a range of researcher training and career development tools.
- Euroscience Jobs lists research science jobs and postdocs in Europe.
- The EU Science Hub (Joint Research Centre) recruits scientists from across the EU to carry out research, in order to provide independent scientific advice and support to EU policy.
- For scientific and research positions in Germany, Austria and Switzerland see the Academics.com jobs board.
- Global Academy Jobs specialises in vacancies in the academic and research sector, at every stage of the academic career path, from post doc and research positions, to lecturer jobs, professorial appointments and president/vice chancellor roles.
- Earthworks-jobs.com advertises posts in academia and beyond, from a broad range of sectors including energy, geoscience, seismology, geodesy, earth science, environmental engineering, ecology, plant science, meteorology, atmospheric science, oceanography, marine science, soil science, remote sensing, GIS, sustainable development and (many other) related subjects.
- Academic Positions advertises roles for academics, researchers, and scientists, covering predominantly Europe and Asia.
- The Association Bernard Gregory, France, lists university positions in France, and also has other useful advice on career development for PhD-holders.
There are vast numbers of jobs boards which carry advertisement for roles beyond higher education or research institutes. Our web page on finding advertised opportunities lists some good starting points with a UK focus; the list below gathers some prominent European jobs boards that feature vacancies for candidates with advanced level qualifications.
- Interamt lists all public service jobs in Germany (in German).
- Part of the Danish Ministry of Employment, Work in Denmark is an English-language public employment service for highly qualified international candidates looking for a job in Denmark.
- APEC is France’s national employment agency for professional and managerial jobs (in French).
- GradLink Central & Eastern Europe lists graduate opportunities and graduate employers in Central & Eastern Europe who are keen to recruit UK-educated Central & Eastern European graduates.
Looking for more?
Check the CareerConnect platform for all our upcoming events and opportunities, book appointments, find jobs and internships, and more.