Our Insight into Publishing programme is designed to demystify publishing (fiction books only account for a small part of the industry!) and increase understanding of professional life to help students become ready to get a job in publishing.
Insight into Publishing will build upon your academic learning and by the end of the three-session programme you will be able to demonstrate a broad understanding of how the publishing industry works and the skills you need to show to prospective employers. You will also be able to apply the learning to your applications and interviews.
The sessions are interactive with break-out group work and pitching ideas to professionals. Insight into Publishing is designed as an intensive, comprehensive programme and you should make every effort to attend all three workshops in order to fully benefit from the programme. By starting the Insight into Publishing programme you are registering for the whole programme.
Applications for Insight into Publishing will open in Hilary term 2024.
The sessions will take place on:
- Week 6 Thursday 22 February 2024, 14:00-15:30; Online via Teams
- Week 7 Thursday 29 February 2024, 14:00-15:30; In person at the Careers Service
- Week 8 Thursday 7 March 2024, 14:00-15:30; Online via Teams
At the end of the programme, you will have:
- A commercial awareness and understanding of the various publishing roles and divisions
- Experience of working in a group on a publishing problem
- Pitched your findings to publishing professionals
- The knowledge to craft a publishing CV
- An insight into what publishing recruiters look for in candidates at the application stages, including interviews.
Who is eligible to apply?
Any current, matriculated University of Oxford student (undergraduate or postgraduate) may apply.
How will applications be assessed?
Applications will be considered in the order in which they were received (i.e. first-come, first-served) on a rolling-basis until the closing date. We will review the statement included in your application form, so we encourage you to explain your reasons for wanting to participate in the programme, as well as any intentions you have for pursuing a career in publishing. We encourage you to apply even if you are unsure whether or not publishing is for you – the programme is a good place to find out more about it!
My question is not answered here!
If you cannot find the answer to your question, please get in touch on firstname.lastname@example.org.