Alumni Association Travel Grants
The University’s Alumni Association generously offers £4,000 per annum to support internships. These grants are pre-allocated to particular placements as indicated on the internship description on CareerConnect.
Erasmus+ is the European Union’s (EU) funding programme for education and training, youth and sport between 2014 and 2020. The University of Oxford has been awarded an Erasmus charter to take part in the programme, and uses part of the funding it receives to support both undergraduates and postgraduates (PGT and PGR students) to undertake placements in Europe through the Summer Internship Programme. Details of whether a placement qualifies for an Erasmus+ grant is included in the placement specifications on CareerConnect.
Erasmus funding is calculated according to the exact length of the internship, and varies by the country being visited, but in most cases students will receive approximately €800-900 per internship. Successful candidates will be contacted by the Erasmus team and must complete all requirements specified to ensure they remain eligible for funding. Although the grant is calculated in Euros, the awards will be paid in Pounds in two instalments, with 80% payable at the start of the internship and the remaining 20% shortly after the internship finishes.
- Internships must meet the minimum duration of 60 days, the minimum duration must be met by 30 September 2020.
- Students must ensure that they have made all appropriate arrangements for visas & insurance. Please visit the University’s Study Abroad webpage, and the page on Oxford and the EU for more information.
- Students must either be enrolled or have recently graduated to be eligible. Erasmus funds are not available to suspended students.
Students can receive a maximum of 12 months of Erasmus funding throughout the course of their degree, and therefore students who have already received Erasmus funding or plan to apply for it on their year abroad later in their degree may not be eligible. If students are concerned about this requirement they can contact the Erasmus team at email@example.com.
Fung Scholarships at Oxford
If you are a current undergraduate student and have been offered an internship in China and Hong Kong through the Summer Internship Programme, you may receive a bursary of up to £2,000 courtesy of the Victor and William Fung Foundation. You can only receive one scholarship from the Victor & William Fung Foundation during your time at Oxford. If, for example, you are studying BA Chinese and have received a scholarship from the foundation previously, you will not be eligible again. The funding is available for undergraduate students only. Details of whether a placement qualifies for this funding is included in the placement specifications on CareerConnect.
Quantitative Methods Awards for Social Scientists
Oxford’s Q-Step Centre has provided Q-Step Internship Awards since their launch in 2014. Undergraduate students from the Social Sciences Division (or students studying part of a joint degree in Social Sciences) can receive up to £1,500 to undertake an internship which focuses on the development of quantitative methods skills.The internships are particularly relevant for first year students who have studied the Q-Step module. The awards come attached to internships advertised through the Summer Internship Programme, which are listed on CareerConnect.
Please note that students who are studying Economics and Management, and History and Economics will not be eligible for this award.
It is a condition of the award that students will be required to provide feedback about the internship and the development of their quantitative methods skills in the work place.
Santander Internship Awards
Santander generously offers a number of awards through the Summer Internship Programme every year which we are able to allocate to internships based in the Santander Network countries. These scholarships are pre-allocated to particular internships as indicated on the internship description on CareerConnect. All students applying to a Santander-funded internship are eligible to receive this funding.
Santander SME Awards
Santander is part-funding internships which are offered by UK-registered organisations with 250 employees or less and which have an annual turnover of fifty million pounds or less. Organisations can include companies, sole traders and partnerships. These scholarships are pre-allocated to particular internships as indicated on the internship description on CareerConnect. Santander SME funded internships are only open to students in their final year of study (undergraduates and postgraduates).
The Oxford University Internship Awards
The University’s Student Fees and Funding Office generously offers £45,000 per annum to support internships. These grants are pre-allocated to particular placements as indicated on the internship description on CareerConnect.