The Promentor Programme: An Alumni Mentoring Programme
With the generous support of the MaxEm Trust, the Promentor Programme offers mentoring by Oxford alumni exclusively for Foundation and First Year students on bursaries at the University of Oxford
This programme offers an unrivalled opportunity to engage with a range of experienced career professionals in a mentoring context.
Each year, 10 University of Oxford students are selected to join the programme, following an application process. Eligible students are invited to apply via email, and will complete the process via the Promentor Programme page on CareerConnect. The Programme lasts for up to 3 years of the Undergraduate degree or for the duration of their Foundation year if an Astrophoria Student.
Mentees on the Promentor Programme will receive:
- Training so students are ready to fully engage in the programme and are equipped with the tools to do so.
- Introductions to up to 2 mentors, currently working in their sectors of interest. Introductions take place in Hilary term and Trinity term.
- A £250 annual discretionary payment based on engagement with the programme
- Invitations to social and networking events.
Key dates for 2023-24
1st Year Students
- 25 October 2023: Applications for the Promentor Programme open for 1st years in CareerConnect.
- 16 November 2023: Promentor Programme Information Evening for potential applicants in person at the Careers Service from 17:00-18:30. Sign up for Information Evening on CareerConnect.
- 24 November 2023: Applications close at 17:00
- w/c 4 December 2023: Interview if shortlisted
- January 2024: Mentee training session
- End of Trinity term 2024: All matches made.
Foundation Year Students
- 18 October 2023: Applications for the Promentor Programme are open for Foundation Year students in CareerConnect
- 19 October 2023: Promentor Programme Information Evening for potential applicants in person at the Careers Service from 17:00-18:30
- 8 November 2023: Applications close at 17:00
- w/c 20 November 2023: Interview if shortlisted
- November/December 2023: Mentee training session
- January 2024: Mentor matching process begins
- End of Hilary term 2024: All matches made.
What students say
The programme totally pushed me to think seriously about what I want in the future and what different sectors can provide me. I certainly wouldn't be at the stage I'm at now without the programme
- Second year mentee (PPE)
The Promentor Programme has not only enhanced my time at Oxford and made it feel worthwhile. The direct support provided by the director allows you to feel close to the programme and not frightened to venture forwards. The programme has opened my eyes to what life could look like after my time here is up - and it does feel as though time goes by so quickly during my studies. The programme provides growth and stability during uncertain times - it fosters networking and mental clarity in careers going forward. The Programme is highly flexible - my interests were niche - yet were met swiftly by its impressive alumni base - something that would not be imaginable had I not taken the courage to apply. Finally, the Promentor Programme binds together individuals with different interests yet a common drive to grow - a true gem
- First Year Mentee (Chemistry)
If you are interested in mentoring, find out how you can take part.
What mentors say
Hear from Tracey West, CEO and Co-founder of Word Forest about her experience on the programme.
If you have any questions, or would like to know more about the programme, please contact email@example.com.