There are many reasons to study further. You might find it helpful to think about what you want to gain and research carefully how further study might help you achieve your goals.
For example, which of the following motivations are important to you?
- Satisfying intellectual curiosity, exploring a subject in greater depth.
- Gaining expertise in a specific area, or building evidence of experience of a sector.
- Training for a profession, for example the Graduate Diploma in Law for legal careers or PGCE for teaching.
- Improving your career prospects generally or adding to your academic record.
- Having a new experience – perhaps the chance to live in a different country.
- Delaying entering the job market, perhaps while the labour market refreshes or to give you more time to clarify your direction. Take some time to think about how realistic this option is, you may need to make career decisions in the early part of your course.
- Other factors that are important to you?
It’s worth taking some time to think beyond your basic motivation. We highlight some of the other issues you might consider below.