There are many significant benefits to micro-internships, and you might apply to the programme for several reasons:
- Gain employability skills and enhance your CV – acquire a range of employability skills such as problem-solving, self-management, presentation and communication skills, and commercial awareness (see more on our Employability Skills webpages). These skills are highly valued by employers and the ability to demonstrate them on your CV, cover letter and in interview is vital during the recruitment process.
- Exploration and insight – micro-internships allow you to explore career options, gain insight into a sector that is new to you, or experience an area outside of your academic field. If you are considering pursuing a career in a certain sector, a micro-internship is a great way of helping you to decide if you might like to pursue it further.
- Variety on offer – because placements are both short and voluntary, a great variety of organisations are able to offer placements through the programme, many of which would not ordinarily be in a position to support interns – in particular start-ups and charities.
- Gain contacts – placements provide a fantastic opportunity to network with professionals in your chosen field, with some micro-internships leading to further work experience or career opportunities.
- Convenience – all micro-internships last 2-5 days and take place at the end of term or in your long vacation, so you can gain work experience even if you have a busy academic schedule.
Feedback from previous micro-interns
I found the project to be very engaging and informative, particularly researching new industries and reporting my findings. It was extremely beneficial to develop and utilise skills that otherwise would not have been covered on my academic course. 3rd year MEng Engineering Science, micro-intern at MeVitae
I think the real benefit to me has been the experience of working in a start-up and getting acquainted with the working culture of a company that is still working out how everything functions. I really enjoyed this because it meant that I wasn’t expected to perfectly mesh into a pre-existing structure, but rather my role was largely determined by what I could contribute. MPhil General Linguistics and Comparative Philology, micro-intern at Cycle.land
I was very impressed with Unlocked Graduates and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. The small nature of the company gave me a very hands-on experience with multiple areas of office life. The recruitment team who I was stationed with was very welcoming. They gave me tasks which I felt I could perform well in, and were careful not to just make me feel like I was there in a “tea-making” role, but that I was actually doing tasks which were helpful. My supervisor also allowed me to sit in on interviews for marketing positions, which will be useful to me in applying for graduate scheme positions in the future. 2nd year English Language and Literature, micro-intern at Unlocked Graduates
The project has helped me to understand that I would like to go into a career that involves a lot of written communication. Undertaking the internship helped to improve my confidence because I began to understand that I am good in this area and have the talents to pursue it. 2nd year BA Geography, micro-intern at Right for Education
This internship was a very special experience. It was certainly a unique opportunity that allowed me to work with collections that I otherwise would have never had access to. Simply being able to handle and get to learn about such beautiful silver was incredible, but the host organisation also went out of their way to make sure that I got the most out of the week. DPhil Classical Archaeology, micro-intern at St John’s College
I thought this internship was fantastic. I gained a lot of exposure to all aspects of the business: sales, marketing, PR and product design.The particular firm was unique, especially with regard to its office atmosphere, so it was interesting to see somewhere so different to typical City firms. It has really encouraged me to think about working for a business like Central 23: that is, a business that is entrepreneurial, fast-paced and ambitious. The team was so welcoming and informative. I mainly applied for an internship to enrich my CV but I ended up benefiting in many other ways. 1st year Philosophy, Politics and Economics, micro-intern at Central 23