Continued support through CareerConnect
Register for an account on CareerConnect, and you will be able to:
- Search our job vacancy board on CareerConnect (most of the positions advertised are for immediate availability)
- Attend our Careers Fairs and most other events
- See any of our Careers Advisers if you are in Oxford
- Have a Skype appointment with our Alumni Careers Adviser (Dr Mike Moss) if you are not in Oxford
- Sign up for our Monthly Alumni Careers Newsletter which is sent by e-mail. You can do this by editing your communication preferences in on your alumni office account.
Unfortunately some of our services are only available to current students (for example The Student Consultancy, The Internship Programme, and certain e-books). Please contact us if you would like clarification on eligibility.
Attend tailored events
As well as allowing alumni to attend our regular events we also have tailored events:
Kick Start Your Career
Kick Start Your Career: A bespoke workshop for unemployed, under-employed and unfulfilled alumni. There are two types of Kick Start workshop:
- Kick Start Your Career for recent graduates
- Kick Start Your Career: Returning to work after a long break
Kick Start Your Career for recent graduates: If you recently completed your degree at Oxford and feel that your career needs a boost, you can come to this free one-day intensive course designed to help you to get your career moving. The course covers career planning, how to identify and move towards your dream job, how to market yourself effectively, and practical job-searching strategies. You will also find out how The Careers Service can help you now and in the future, and receive one-to-one guidance.
Kick Start Your Career: Returning to work after a long break: A special careers workshop for alumni looking to return to work after a long career gap, whether through illness or raising a family. We will cover job search strategies, document optimisation, networking and interview technique but we will also be exploring ideas and case studies on how to get back into the market and freshen up your skills and CV. Even if you are a few years from getting back to work, come along! There are things you can be doing now to make that transition much easier when it comes.
Each Kick Start Your Career runs 3-4 times per year, usually in September, December, March and July. Please log in to CareerConnect for a full list of events, event details and registration information.
Alumni @ the Fair
Alumni are welcome at our Careers Fairs. Of course the recruiters attend fairs to promote graduate entry positions, so these events are mostly relevant to alumni in their twenties. The booklet for the fair will be released about one week before the fair, but the previous year’s booklet will be available in PDF form, so that you can plan roughly who to meet. Target 6 to 10 employers, do research on them, approach them at the fair enthusiastically, say what you like about them demonstrating your research and engage them in a well researched question.
We offer a number of assessments that can assist matriculated students and alumni with their career planning, including the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) and the DISC behavioural assessment tool. If in doubt contact email@example.com before purchase. If you are not a matriculated student or alumni of Oxford University you should not apply.
Students and researchers who are referred to a group session by a careers adviser can possibly have feedback on their MBTI type for free. Unemployed alumni may be eligible for reduced fees in case of hardship. Students, researchers and alumni who request the service without a referral will be charged as follows:
- A group face to face feedback (2 hours) using a paper questionnaire costs £15 including VAT (in Oxford only). Please select the Paper MBTI option on the University online store.
- A one-to-one feedback (1 hour) using an on-line-questionnaire either face-to-face or over Skype costs £40 including VAT. Please select the Web MBTI option on the University online store.
The Myers-Briggs Company (TMBC) is the European provider of MBTI questionnaires, these fees cover TMBC prices plus related taxes and administration costs. The careers service provides the MBTI practitioner free of charge without any attempt to recoup practitioner nor training costs. Commercial MBTI charges normally range from £100 to £150.
Shortly after payment Dr Mike Moss will be in touch by e-mail to agree a workshop date or one-to-one meeting appointment, depending on your order. If he happens to be out of the office there may be a short delay, your patience is appreciated. Please book and pay online.